Starting Feb. 1, Republic Services will begin collecting garbage and recycling from city residents and businesses. If you have not received a Republic welcome packet, you should by the middle of January. The packet contains relevant information for customers to help make the transition smooth.
Here are some of the changes you can expect:
- New green garbage and grey organics carts for yard and food waste.
- No rate increase. Most customers who subscribe to garbage, recycling and organics collection there will be a rate decrease.
- Organics and recycling collections are part of the standard solid waste service. Customers will not pay extra for either service.
- Garbage and recycling will be collected on an every-other-week schedule. Organics will be collected weekly.
- All single-family households can schedule a once-a-year junk collection on a day of your choice.
- There will be two special recycle days for bulky recyclables (at Renton Technical College); one Reuse Event (at Memorial Stadium) in addition to waste prevention and recycling education workshops, and city-wide litter collection.
- Republic Services will bill quarterly and maintain a customer service office in downtown Renton.
There will be four more informational workshops in January to answer questions about the change in service provider:
- 6:30 – 8 p.m., Jan. 18, Highlands Neighborhood Center, 800 Edmonds Ave. NE
- 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m., Jan. 21, Carco Theatre, 1717 SE Maple Valley Hwy
- 6:30 – 8 p.m., Jan. 23, Talbot Hill Elementary, 2300 Talbot Road S
- 7 – 8:30 p.m., Jan. 26, Renton City Hall Council Chambers, 1055 South Grady Way