Fraud at gunpoint | Renton police blotter

Fraud at gunpoint

Renton police were dispatched on Aug. 9 at approximately 12:04 p.m. to BECU in the 1000 block of Park Avenue North after receiving report of a robbery from the day prior. An officer called and talked with the reporting party, who advised a man in his early 20s had approached him at the Tukwila International Boulevard Station.

The young man asked the reporting party whether he heard of BECU’s referral program and said “if he opened an account they would both get $250 just for the account’s creation,” according to the department. The department described the young man as Black man with curly hair at approximately 5’6” with a medium build, wearing a T-shirt and shorts.

The reporting party expressed interest in the program to the man, but said he was busy trying to get somewhere nearby, according to the department. The man offered to take the reporting party to where he needed to be after taking him to the BECU if he wanted to open an account.

The reporting party agreed and rode with the man to BECU in a white four-door sedan and parked in the north end of the Target parking lot. The reporting party opened an account at the BECU, and when he returned to the vehicle, the man pulled out a black handgun and demanded the victim drop everything including financial documents and a debit card, and to get out of the vehicle.

The victim complied and the suspect fled the area. The victim later received a call from BECU advising fraudulent activity detected on his account, according to the department. The BECU fraud department advised he may be liable for the money if the check bounces, and he was then advised to file a police report.

Followed from the casino

A Renton police officer was dispatched on Aug. 8 at approximately 6:06 a.m. to take a phone report regarding potential threats. The reporting party advised that the evening prior at approximately 10 p.m., he met up with his girlfriend at a casino located in South Seattle, and they stayed through the end of the night and into next morning, according to the department.

At approximately 3:30 a.m., his girlfriend left to head home, and the reporting party stayed at the casino. At approximately 4:30 a.m., his girlfriend returned to the casino and said to him that unknown subjects followed her home, though she did not drive all the way home.

She said they drove quickly past her, completed a U-turn and drove away. The reporting party advised that when they left the casino, he noticed two vehicles following them. One of the suspects’ vehicles passed his car and hit his girlfriend’s vehicle, and he shouted at her to back up and flee, according to the department. He heard her say on the phone that the suspects had a gun.

Following the incident, both suspects drove away in different directions, according to the department. The victims could not describe the suspect vehicles in full and could not describe either suspect.

Hotel incident

Renton police were dispatched on Aug. 8 at 3:58 a.m. to a hotel located in the 1800 block of Maple Valley Road. According to the department, police received report of a physical domestic incident in-progress in a guest room.

The officers arrived at the hotel room and heard subjects talking inside, according to the department. They knocked at the door and identified themselves, and a woman partially opened the door for them, but refused to open it fully.

A man inside the room interjected himself into the conversation and advised police they were not allowed into the room. Officers continued negotiating with the involved parties, advising they would need to open the door to make sure everyone was okay. The woman started to unlock the door, but the man attempted to shut it again as officers pushed their way inside. Officers brought the man to the ground, handcuffed him and established probable cause to arrest him for assault in the second degree.


Renton police were dispatched on Aug. 10 at 12:49 p.m. to a potential shooting in the 500 block of South Grady Way after receiving multiple 911 calls.

Callers advised that two or more men were shooting at each other in the area of the McDonald’s drive-thru nearby. Some subjects were on foot and some were in vehicles. Officers arrived at the scene and were unable to locate any directly involved subjects or victims, but spoke with several witnesses in the area at the time of the incident.

Several vehicles and the windows of businesses sustained damages in the gunfire. Investigation into the incident continues.


Renton police were dispatched on Aug. 9 at 6:51 p.m. to reports of a stabbing in the 10000 block of Southeast 192nd Street.

Upon arrival at the scene, officers saw blood splattered on the front porch, living room, and bedroom of a residence, locating the victim in the bedroom. The victim was conscious, breathing and alert, and had suffered a stab wound to the right side of his chest. Officers provided medical aid to the victim as the Renton fire department arrived to assume patient care, according to the department.

The victim stated he and the suspect were cleaning up the property when the suspect became agitated and they got into an argument. The suspect became aggressive with the victim and accused him of throwing away all his stuff. The situation escalated, resulting in the suspect stabbing the victim, according to the department. The victim declined to press charges against the suspect in the incident.