Look around these days, and you’ll see more and more drivers behind the wheel of an electric vehicle. Puget Sound Energy wants to make it easier for its electric customers to upgrade to a fast home charger to save energy, and help PSE plan for more electric vehicles in our area.
For a limited time, qualified PSE residential customers can get a $500 rebate on the purchase of more than 30 types of Level 2 electric vehicle chargers. The rebate is available to 5,000 eligible customers.
Many electric vehicles, known as EVs, can plug into a standard 120-volt household outlet. But Level 2 chargers use 240 volts — similar to voltage that a clothes dryer would use — and can provide a full charge in a shorter amount of time. The charging stations can be easily installed in a garage or carport. Some EVs now recommend a Level 2 charger.
Basic Qualifications for Electric Vehicle Charger Rebate
• Must be a PSE residential electric customer.
• Those who bought an electric vehicle after May 1, 2014 must purchase and install the charger within one year of vehicle registration.
• Those who bought an electric vehicle between Jan. 1, 2012 and April 30, 2014 must purchase and install the charger between May 1, 2014 and May 1, 2015.
• The charger must be installed behind the existing PSE electric meter that provides the customer’s residential electric service.
• The charger must be the principal charging location for a new highway capable vehicle.
Benefits of electric vehicles include emitting less air pollution, they’re quieter and they can have a lower cost to operate.
PSE is making the rebates available to help with the collection of data about EVs and energy usage. Customers who accept the rebate will be periodically contacted by PSE, or have information collected from their meters. The rebate is not available to PSE commercial customers.
A list of qualified electric vehicle chargers, rebate forms and more information can be found at pse.com/electricvehicles. Or call a PSE Energy Advisor at 1-800-562-1482.