Renton City Council gave their thumbs up to approving $275,000 in lodging tax for 2018.
The city received 15 applications totaling $673,750 in October. The Lodging Tax Advisory Committee went through the applications to made recommendations to disperse the money to 11 applications.
The council approved the expenditures for the following:
• $100,000 for Renton Chamber of Commerce’s Operation of Tourism organization
• $10,000 for the Chamber’s Northwest Tequila and Agave Festival
• $5,000 for Chamber’s Return to Renton Car Show
• $5,000 for the Cruz the Loop
• $25,500 for the Multicultural Festival
• $75,000 for Renton Community marketing
• $4,000 for Renton Downtown Partnership’s Wine Walk
• $15,500 for DAWA project’s NW Naturals Show
• $10,000 for API Chaya and Ravishing Women’s Ravishing Women’s Show
• $10,000 for Baseball Beyond Borders’ American Legion Baseball Tournament
• $15,000 for Northwest premier Junior Football and Cheer’s All Star and Jamboree.
The lodging tax is money collected from a 1 percent tax on lodging charged at local hotels, motels, RV parks and similar facilities. The money can be used for tourism marketing, marketing and operations of special events and festivals designed to attract tourists or operations of tourism-related facilities.
The advisory committee is chaired by Council member Armondo Pavone and includes hotel representatives from Marriott, Red Lion and Hyatt Regency, a city of Renton official, a representative from Renton Chamber of Commerce and Renton Municipal Arts commission.
The city council approved a Committee of the Whole report Dec. 11, giving the OK to the recommended allocations.