NW Carpenters Union members strike in downtown Bellevue on Sept. 16 (photo by Cameron Sheppard)

NW Carpenters Union members strike in downtown Bellevue on Sept. 16 (photo by Cameron Sheppard)

Carpenters back to work after tentative agreement reached with AGC

Union VP said agreement includes 15% wage increase as well as expanded job site parking.

After nearly three weeks of strikes that paused progress on prominent construction projects across the Puget Sound, the Northwest Carpenters Union announced today that they have reached a tentative agreement with the Associated General Contractors of Washington, allowing work to resume.

“As you can hear around us, you’ll hear the clanking and banging and that’s what we like to hear,” said NW Carpenters Union spokesperson Evelyn Shapiro in Downtown Seattle on Wednesday. “We like to hear the noise on the streets because that means we are building.”

Shapiro said hundreds of carpenters union members participated in the strike despite a divided membership over the initially struck-down agreements offered by the AGC.

Union Vice President and bargaining committee member, Ryan Case, said the tentative agreement is a three-year contract that he believes keeps the carpenters union in-line with the other trade unions with a 15.4 percent wage increase and retroactive wages back to the beginning of June.

He said there will also be expanded parking in Seattle and Bellevue, with parking space and fees being a contested issue among union members.

“I want my son to know that standing up for what is right and standing up for yourself and your union brothers and sisters can be tough, but it is worth it.” Case said.

Case said he is confident union members will collectively vote to approve this new agreement.

Shapiro said despite the compromising nature of contract negotiations, the union did not really have to “give anything up” during the negotiations.


Talk to us

Please share your story tips by emailing editor@rentonreporter.com.

To share your opinion for publication, submit a letter through our website https://www.rentonreporter.com/submit-letter/. Include your name, address and daytime phone number. (We’ll only publish your name and hometown.) Please keep letters to 300 words or less.

More in News

(Right most) Renton Mayor Armondo Pavone, (Second to right) Governor Jay Inslee, (Middle) and King County Executive Dow Constantine, as they celebrate the groundbreaking of the Sunset Gardens housing project. (Courtesy of the City of Renton)
Governor Inslee comes to Renton to celebrate new Sunset Gardens housing project

Sunset Gardens will provide affordable housing for veterans, persons with disabilities, and seniors.

File Photo
Data released on fireworks-related injuries in Washington

Last year fireworks caused $122,000 in damage.

File photo.
Mysterious in-home deaths of father, two daughters ruled as starvation

Written materials about fasting were found in the home; the father’s death called a suicide.

Dr. Faisal Khan. Courtesy of King County.
Dr. Faisal Khan appointed as next King County health director

Dennis Worsham will continue to serve as interim director until September 6.

Tsr
Renton spa employee accused of trying to coerce woman into prostitution, posing nude

Quyen T. Nguyen, 39, has been accused of attempted promotion of prostitution… Continue reading

Teaser
King County experts discuss extreme heat mitigation plan

The plan includes improving infrastructure and communications to prevent future disasters.

T
Public art call for South King County transit corridor

Deadline is July 13 for artists to apply to have their work in new RapidRide expansion.

Construction at Lindbergh High School is expected to last from summer 2022 to spring 2024. Image courtesy of Renton School District.
Lindbergh High School construction begins in July, will continue until 2024

The preparation phase for construction at the high school started in March 2021.

Most Read