Victim remains hospitalized following shooting Tuesday

The owner of a fourplex was serving an eviction notice when the suspect reportedly shot her.

The victim of a shooting Tuesday is in stable and satisfactory condition at Harborview Medical Center.

The owner of a fourplex was shot in the head while serving an eviction notice Tuesday, Sept. 18 on 2700 Ninth Street Northeast.

Renton police said the suspect was arrested without incident and was booked for investigation of assault Tuesday afternoon.

The suspect, Joshua Gasperich, is believed to have opened fire on the victim after she arrived at his door to serve the eviction notice.

He is currently in custody at the King County Correctional Facility in Seattle. As this time, bail was denied.

Gasperich’s first appearance is scheduled for 2:45 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 20 at the Regional Justice Center in Kent.

The initial call came out around 12:02 p.m. about a possible shooting, when the owner went across the street to an autobody shop and they called 911 for her. She was able to explain what had happened to her.

“It’s very fortunate all around that she could do that and we could respond so quickly based off what she could give us,” Renton police department’s Sandra Havlik said Wednesday.

Renton police were also receiving calls at that time Tuesday stating a blue truck was seen speeding away from the scene.

The vehicle description matched the suspect’s registered truck, but since police couldn’t confirm whether he was driving, SWAT was brought in to treat the situation like the suspect has possibly barricaded himself inside.

SWAT assembled a post outside the home and evacuated the other residents of the fourplex. As they cleared the residence there was no sign of the suspect, according to Renton police.

At 2:00 p.m. Tuesday, police began to receive tips stating the suspect’s vehicle was seen around Fourth and Union. Police then had motor officers and patrols down the street to find him. Gasperich then drove past the staged command post along Edmonds Avenue Northeast and was pulled over by those additional patrols less than a mile from the fourplex.

The suspect was then taken into custody around 2:35 p.m.

The suspect had a dog with him that was taken for safe keeping by Renton Animal Control.

Highland Elementary School was on lockout during the incident.

The school was able to proceed as normal during the lockout, and were later released on normal schedule.