Renton High School evacuated after gas-leak scare

A construction crew adjacent to the school was believed to have ruptured a gas line.

On Tuesday, Oct. 5, students and staff at Renton High School were evacuated after a suspected gas leak.

Renton School District spokesperson, Randy Matheson said a construction crew working on a site adjacent to the school was believed to have accidentally ruptured a gas line causing a “prominent” smell of gas in the area.

Matheson said the school was evacuated around 9:30 am to Renton Memorial Stadium for safety. After the fire department cleared the school and determined it would be safe, students and staff returned to the school and resumed their schedule around 10:17 am.

Matheson said the families of students were notified of the incident.