A Skyway house fire Saturday caused $100,000 in damages, but left an elderly Skyway woman and her two dogs unharmed.
Several Skyway neighbors noticed smoke coming from the woman’s home just before 12 p.m. Saturday. One neighbor called 911, another rescued the elderly woman and others grabbed garden hoses.
The fire was in the basement of the woman’s home, in the 12400 block of 84th Ave. S.
Firefighters from King County Fire District 20 and Renton Fire and Emergency Services helped put out the fire.
Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the chimney and fire coming from the basement of the two-story home. They attacked the fire quickly, to reduce the fire’s spread to the rest of the home.
The basement suffered heavy fire and content loss. But the upstairs suffered only minor smoke damage with no contents lost, and damage to the garage was limited to smoke and water.
The King County Sheriff’s Arson and Fire Investigation Unit has determined the fire to be accidental. Red Cross is assisting the woman and her dogs.