Five occupants of a house in the 800 block of Index Court Northeast escaped safely late Friday morning after a pan on the kitchen stove caught fire, according to Renton Fire and Emergency Services.
Damage was estimated at about $100,000 and content loss was estimated at $20,000. The American Red Cross is assisting the occupants.
Fire was coming from the house’s roof and smoke was coming from the front door when fire crews arrived at about 11:06 a.m.
Crews contained the fire to the kitchen and attic and completely put out the fire a short time later, according to Deputy Fire Chief Bill Flora.
No firefighters were injured.
“The message from this fire is to not step away from anything cooking on the stove for any length of time, especially if there is oil or grease in the pan,” said Flora.