The Highlanders boys tennis team hosted the then-undefeated Kentwood Conquerors Friday.
Hazen entered the match with an 8-1 record, its only loss coming to Kentwood in late September.
However, this match up played out differently — Hazen beat the Conks 3-2.
The two teams are now tied for the No. 1 spot in the North Puget Sound League 4A Cascade division with a 9-1 record.
Hazen played Kent-Meridian (1-9) Wednesday, after the time of this post.
The Highlanders are set to host Kentlake (0-10) at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 4.
Below are results from Hazen’s 3-2 win over Kentwood:
• Kyle Lee (KW) def. Alex Huynh 5-7, 0-3, retired
• Sohil Shah (H) def. Evan Buchan 6-0, 6-3
• Carson Stewart/Alex Boupharath (KW) def. Nick Ngo/Kenny Nguyen 6-1, 6-4
• Alex Nguyen/Mark Ngo (H) def. Phat Trinh/Josh Shin 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
• Timothy Tuemmler/Josh Kittay (H) def. Alex Tan/Kaden Buchan 6-1, 6-0
Notes from Coach Gail Ellis:
Alex Nguyen and Mark Ngo had a slow start but ended up winning the deciding match 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Alex Huynh battled from behind to take the first set 7-5 against Kyle Lee in No. 1 singles but had to retire after developing a shoulder injury early in the second set.
The score did not reflect the competitiveness of the two hour No. 2 singles match with Sohil Shah eventually topping Evan Buchan 6-0, 6-3.