- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Renton athletes recognized for athletics, academics
Renton School District teams, athletes, and coaches realized many academic, social, and personal achievements during the 2013-2014 WIAA Sports Season. A summary is below:
Seventy-six RSD programs were recognized by the WIAA for excellence in academics. Of these 76, 14 had a team GPA of 3.5 or above.
“Academic achievement is the top priority for our programs as a growing body of research says that there is a link between afterschool activities and graduating high school, going to college, and becoming a responsible citizen,” said Athletic Director Brian Kaelin in an email.
Some of the highlights for Renton schools are:
• Lindbergh finished 16th (2A), Hazen 20th (3A), and Renton 45th (2A) in the Scholastic Cup Standings. Complete standings can be viewed on the WIAA website at the following link: http://www.wiaa.com/cupranking.aspx?SecID=346.
• Thirty-four (34) Renton School District teams, athletes, coaches (and an Athletic Director) were Seamount League Champions and Award Winners in 2013-2014.
Many Renton School District Programs had post season success and several teams/athletes placed at State. State Champions included:
• Andrew Franco-Munoz (Lindbergh Swim)- 50- and 100-yard freestyle.
• The Lindbergh Boys’ 200 free swim relay team (James Buchanan, AJ Lim, Ben Pogue, and Andrew Franco-Munez).
• Hazen Drill in Pom discipline.
In addition, Renton High Boys Basketball Coach Rick Comer was selected to the Washington Interscholastic Basketball Coaches Association (WIBCA) Hall of Fame.