- Curvee Awards gala gets under way at 7 p.m. tonight
- Preparing for the worst: Valley Medical Center staff preps for possibility of Eb...
- Renton, Bothell youth football teams banned from playoffs after parents fight in...
- Final weekend for the 'Cedar River Salmon Journey'
- It's Homecoming Weekend for the Lindbergh Eagles
- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Top-seeded Renton boys open district tournament tonight against Sumner
The Renton boys basketball team faces its first 2A district challenge this evening as the top-seeded Indians take on the eighth-seeded Sumner Spartans at Lakes High School in Tacoma.
Renton earned the top seed by beating White River 65-60 last week in the sub-district championship. Sumner advanced by beating Bremerton 63-48 Wednesday in a first-round, loser-out game.
The Indians are 21-1 this season and were undefeated until the game game of the regular season. Sumner is 15-9 this season.
This is the second time the teams have played each other this postseason. The two teams faced off against each other Feb. 6 in a first-round game in the sub-district tournament. Renton won that game 57-52.
The winner of tonight's game earns a berth in the semi-finals against the winner of the Franklin Pierce - Sequim matchup. The loser of tonight's game will play a loser-out matchup Saturday with the winner of that game advancing to the regional tournament.
The district championship is scheduled for Monday at the ShoWare center.
The Renton-Sumner game gets under way at 7:45 p.m. tonight at Lakes High School in Tacoma.