Halloween is just around the corner. To celebrate the holiday safely, Renton Police Department is encouraging residents to follow these tips:
- Choose bright costumes,and have children carry flashlights or glow sticks so they are easily visible. Try adding reflective tape to costumes and candy bags.
- Stay on sidewalks and use crosswalks.
- Drive slowly and anticipate heavy pedestrian traffic. Children are excited on Halloween and may move in unpredictable ways.
- Trick-or-treat with trusted neighbors. Consider using the Nextdoor Treat Map (https://nextdoor.com/treat/) to plan your route ahead of time to find the safest, most efficient route to the candy.
- Keep candy away from pets. All forms of chocolate-especially baking or dark chocolate can be dangerous, even lethal, for dogs and cats.
- Parents, check your child’s candy before they dig in. Make sure the treats are properly wrapped and not homemade.