News

Fatal Skyway fire ruled accidental

Firefighters from Skyway, Renton, Tukwila and Kent fought a house fire in Skyway where one person was found dead. The fire was ruled accidental by the King County Sheriff’s Office Fire Investigation Unit. - Courtesy image
Firefighters from Skyway, Renton, Tukwila and Kent fought a house fire in Skyway where one person was found dead. The fire was ruled accidental by the King County Sheriff’s Office Fire Investigation Unit.
— image credit: Courtesy image

A fatal Monday morning fire in Skyway has been ruled accidental by the King County Sheriff's Office Fie Investigation Unit.

King County Fire District 20 firefighters responded to a house fire in the 12200 block of 78 Avenue South just after noon on Monday. Firefighters arrived on the scene of the fire less than three minutes after receiving the alarm to find fire venting from the front and side windows.

While searching the home, crews found an unknown age or gender person deceased in the front of the house in a room where firefighters saw heavy flames.

Noting the proximity of the house to the fire station, King County Fire District 20 Fire Mark Chubb said in a press release, “sadly there was very little we could do once the fire was discovered and reported by neighbors.”

The cause of the fire was accidental and damage is estimated at $130,000. The Seattle Red Cross is assisting the displaced. The King County Medical Examiner is working to identify the person and cause of death.

“Although the cause of this fire was ruled accidental, firefighters still like to think deaths in circumstances like these are preventable,” said Chubb, who noted that this fire was the first in Skyway to involve a fatality in several years.

The fire district recommends that homeowners install smoke alarms on every floor level and in every bedroom to give early warning of a fire. New smoke alarms with fixed 10-year batteries are preferred.

“People living with someone who smokes should take extra care, especially if that person’s health limits their ability to escape quickly,” said Chubb, who added that smokers should consider limiting this activity to outdoors or at least rooms without upholstered furnishings or bedding.

Fire units from Skyway, Renton, Tukwila, Kent, King County Medic One and Rehab 1 all responded.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Dec 19
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates