News

Neighbors help save elderly woman in Skyway house fire

A Skyway house fire Saturday caused $100,000 in damages, but left an elderly Skyway woman and her two dogs unharmed.

Several Skyway neighbors noticed smoke coming from the woman’s home just before 12 p.m. Saturday. One neighbor called 911, another rescued the elderly woman and others grabbed garden hoses.

The fire was in the basement of the woman’s home, in the 12400 block of 84th Ave. S.

Firefighters from King County Fire District 20 and Renton Fire and Emergency Services helped put out the fire.

Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the chimney and fire coming from the basement of the two-story home. They attacked the fire quickly, to reduce the fire’s spread to the rest of the home.

The basement suffered heavy fire and content loss. But the upstairs suffered only minor smoke damage with no contents lost, and damage to the garage was limited to smoke and water.

The King County Sheriff’s Arson and Fire Investigation Unit has determined the fire to be accidental. Red Cross is assisting the woman and her dogs.

Our Mobile Apps

Community Events, April 2014

Add an Event
We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Apr 18 edition online now. Browse the archives.