About $18,000 in jewelry stolen during party

The following information was compiled from Renton Police Department case reports.

About $18,300 worth of jewelry was stolen Jan. 19 from a home on Lake Washington, along with two iPhones and a laptop.

The theft apparently occurred during a party at the house, where a resident’s relative was house-sitting. A man unknown to the partygoers had entered the house and was leaving with the laptop when he was stopped and questioned.

He hit the questioner in the eye and tried to run out the front door. But another partygoer punched him in the stomach, which stopped him. The partygoer took his wallet so he could get his drivers license to get his name, then returned the wallet. The suspect, a 20-year-old Seattle man, was told to leave.

The partygoers planned to call police but didn’t because the laptop had been recovered.  They went back to their drinking game. The suspect was still sitting in a car outside; no one had recognized him.

About 30 minutes later, a partygoer noticed the laptop was gone, as well as two cell phones. They figured either the suspect came back inside or someone at the party brought the items to him.

Three days later, the resident contacted police. Someone had entered a bedroom and stolen $18,300 worth of jewelry.

The resident’s relative later emailed police, writing that he narrowed the suspects to a men’s and women’s basketball team on the Eastside. But he didn’t see anyone take the stolen items.

Theft start of his worries

Shoplifting three pairs of gloves Jan. 19 from Walmart on Rainier Avenue was enough to get this 23-year-old Kent man arrested.

Then there were a felony warrant for stealing a motor vehicle and that stolen motorcycle parked on the sidewalk near the store’s main entrance.

He hid the gloves in a motorcycle helmet. But he didn’t make it past store security.

In checking the man’s ID, a Renton Police officer discovered the warrant. And he noticed the helmet and asked where the man had parked his motorcycle. A friend dropped him off, he told the officer.

The officer looked out and saw only one motorcycle, a green Kawasaki, which a check showed was stolen from the University of Washington.

Not wanting to lie, the man told the officer a friend let him drive the motorcycle so he could score some drugs. He figured the motorcycle was stolen because he had to use a screwdriver to start it.

He declined to offer any information about his friend.

The motorcycle’s owner arrived and drove it off.

The suspect was booked into the SCORE regional jail for possession of a stolen vehicle.

If  ‘Dino Cruz’ calls, hang up

“Dino Cruz” will offer to service a heater, but if you need to call to change the appointment, you’ll get a phone-sex line.

That’s exactly what happened to a 74-year-old Renton woman.

She received a call from a “Dino Cruz,” who said he worked for a company called Washington Heating and Air Conditioning. He offered to service her home’s heater.

They made an appointment and he gave her a call-back number. She had to reschedule, and when she called, she got the phone-sex line.

The officer called Washington Heating and Air Conditioning in Seattle and was told the company started receiving calls about six months ago about a “Dino Cruz.” No one by that name works for the company.

No one is sure what happens if Cruz actually shows up for an appointment.

Officers told the woman to call police if Cruz showed up at her house.

Accord leads chase

A Honda Accord, its driver apparently familiar with the area, led a Renton Police officer on a pursuit Jan. 15 through the Highlands.

The pursuit began at about 7:40 a.m. near Union Avenue Northeast and Northeast Sunset Boulevard.

During the pursuit the driver pulled into parking lots, ran traffic lights and stop signs, and nearly collided with other vehicles.

Eventually, the Honda entered a school zone near McKnight Middle School. The pursuit was reaching speeds of about 30 mph. The Honda drove through a controlled intersection at Harrington Avenue and Northeast 16th Street. Up ahead were several vehicles going to McKnight.

The Honda turned onto northbound Edmonds Avenue Northeast. Traffic was becoming congested at Aberdeen Avenue and Northeast 27th Street. The driver drove in the center of the road, splitting between an oncoming police cruiser and traffic.

The pursuit ended when it became apparent the Honda wasn’t going to stop. The Honda’s owner was contacted, who told officers the vehicle had been stolen. The officer took a stolen-vehicle report.

Argument over cells, cash

A Renton woman was chased into her bedroom Jan. 14 during an argument with an ex-boyfriend over cell phones and the whereabouts of $150 in cash.

The ex-boyfriend, who has a state warrant for escaping from community custody, yelled out: “We can do this the easy way or the hard way.”

He then kicked in the door and threw her to the ground as they wrestled over her mother’s cell phone. She was screaming “help” into the phone but wasn’t sure dispatchers heard her cries.

The man twisted the cell from her hand and ran from the home. He yelled out that he would return the mother’s phone if they would return his phone. The victim doesn’t know where the suspect’s cell phone is.

And he’s the only other person who knows where the key is hidden to a safe where she kept $150 that’s now missing.

A K9 track didn’t locate the suspect. The suspect called a short time later with the same offer to exchange cell phones.

Criminal citations were issued for the suspect.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates