Seattle man obstructs police outside bar | POLICE BLOTTER PART 1

The following information was compiled from Renton Police Department case reports.

A profanity-laced argument between a man and a woman outside Dionisio’s Bar on Main Street Dec. 28 ended with the arrest of a 23-year-old Seattle man for obstructing an officer.

About 20 people were outside the bar, just at closing time, and refused to leave.

Officers were on extra-duty assignment that night to help maintain the peace at local bars and nightclubs

Security guards from the bar tried to keep the two separated and pushed the man toward a waiting limousine. Police officers believed the man intended to assault the woman.

Other occupants of the black sedan tried to get the suspect inside, but he got out. He stuck his hands down his pants, leading an officer to believe he was trying to get a weapon.

Other officers ordered him to leave but he repeatedly refused and instead smoked a cigarette.

He was arrested for failure to disperse and then for obstructing an officer when he tried to prevent an officer from handcuffing him.

And because of his profanity, he was also cited for breach of peace.

He was taken to the SCORE regional jail. He was drunk and the officer had to hold him up. He was screaming and swearing.

Handcuffed man takes off running

His hands handcuffed behind him, a 19-year-old Renton man took off running down the middle of Kirkland Avenue Northeast Dec. 31 after he heard police dispatch confirm he was wanted on a theft warrant.

A resident on Index Avenue had spotted someone on a bike riding behind a house. He gave 911 dispatchers a description of the suspect.

When he was arrested, the 19-year-old was wearing dark clothing and his face was covered with a green camouflage mask. He had a backpack.

He told officers he was exercising.

There have been recent break-ins in the neighborhood.

An officer yelled at him that he would be tasered if he didn’t stop running. He was about 10 feet away but kept running. A second officer fired his Taser but didn’t get contact.

The man continued to run, despite warnings. Officers feared for their safety and for the suspect’s safety. The initial officer deployed his Taser and the runner fell face first. Aid was called and he was taken to Valley Medical Center, with a police officer.

In his report, the officer explained the Tasers were used because the officers were about 20 feet behind, wearing heavy boots not designed for running and carrying about 20 pounds of gear. The 19-year-old appeared to be pulling away, but, if caught, might fight.

Officers found a large lock cutter, a wire cutter and several screwdrivers, as well as two metal spoons and part of a syringe. The suspect told medics he sometimes laces his tobacco with heroin. The substance was sent to a lab for analysis.

He was booked into SCORE regional jail for resisting arrest, making a false statement, possession of burglary tools and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Swearing patron finally gives up

Even before the officer went inside the bar, patrons outside were warning: “He is big and very drunk.” Be careful.

“He” was a 34-year-old Renton man who was trying to start fights Jan. 3 inside the R Bar on 116th Avenue Southeast. He’d gone outside to smoke and a bartender was trying to hold the door closed so he couldn’t get back in.

The officer walked in and asked the 6-foot-4, 265-pound man whether he was all right. The man swore at him and another officer. He kept asking the officers, what’s your problem?

The man had been in the bar for about an hour and had been asked to leave numerous times. He was no longer being served alcohol.

He couldn’t get his wallet out of his back pocket. He was told he was being detained for trespass. He continued to swear at officers. He took a fighting stance and was warned he would be tased if he continued to disobey orders.

Finally, he complied and was placed in handcuffs. He told the officer he didn’t have the right to arrest him because his money pays his salary. He continued to scream at the officer and insult him on the way to the SCORE regional jail.

Expo, a shepherd/Akita mix dog, knows her name, which allowed the officer to finally get to the truth.

The officer was called to a home on Ferndale Avenue Dec. 27 about an unwanted dog. The owner told Animal Control the dog barks at her and she can’t afford to feed it.

She said her son found the dog.

Expo barked at the officer, but she responded when the son referred to her as Expo.

The officer was surprised that the dog would respond to a name after just a short time. The son admitted his mother asked him to lie and that he got Expo from a friend about a month ago.

The dog doesn’t like his mother, so he has to get rid of her.

Expo was taken to the Renton animal shelter without incident.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates