- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Improper disposal of fireplace ashes leads to fire at house in the Highlands
Units from Renton Fire & Emergency Services Department, assisted by Eastside Fire & Rescue, responded to a house fire in the Renton Highlands just before 1 a.m. Friday morning.
Upon arrival, they found a vehicle and carport fully involved in flames and fire extending into the home. All the occupants escaped without injury and the fire was quickly controlled.
The fire did approximately $150,000 worth of damages. Fire investigators determined the cause of the fire to be ashes that were removed from a fireplace and placed in a plastic container in the carport.
This is the latest of several fires that have occurred this winter from improperly disposed of fireplace ashes.
Every year the Renton Fire & Emergency Services Department responds to several fires related to improper disposal of ashes from fireplaces and wood stoves.
The following are precautions one should take when disposing of ashes:
• Make sure ashes are placed in a metal container. Even if you have not had a fire in your wood-burning appliance for several days, hot ashes can be present. Placing ashes in a combustible container is an invitation to tragedy.
• Never place containers of ashes on a deck or porch, near a structure or inside a plastic garbage collection container. Make sure they are far away from anything that can burn.
• Ashes are good for soil. A great way to dispose of ashes is to spread them in a garden and wet them down. This will remove any chance of a fire occurring.