TOP STORIES OF 2013 PART 3: Boysen and Lane sentencings

A collage of photos from the top stories of 2013. - File Photo.
A collage of photos from the top stories of 2013.
— image credit: File Photo.

As 2013 comes to an end, the Renton Reporter staff is taking a look back at some of the stories that most affected our readers this year.

From the seeming conclusion to the library debate, to the murders of two residents by their grandson, to the sentencing of Jarrod Lane, to happier news like a new Renton Superintendnet and a run at the state tournament by both Renton basketball teams as well as an undefeated season by the Lindbergh Eagles football team, 2013 gave us all a lot to think about.

Here are some of the stories that we followed this year:

Chadd Boysen kills grandparents

Melanie Taylor found her parents dead in a closet in their Fairwood home on March 9. Seven months later, she sat with her family in a King County Superior Court courtroom as her son Michael Chadd Boysen was sentenced to two life terms for killing his grandparents, Norma and Robert Taylor.

Boysen fled in his grandparents’ car, with their jewelry, cash and other valuables, and to Lincoln City, Ore., where after a standoff with police, he surrendered. After treatment at a Portland hospital for apparent self-inflicted cuts, he spent the next several months in jail in Seattle, preparing for a trial and surviving suicide attempts.

The trial never came. He pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated first-degree murder. He avoided the death penalty, but a Superior Court judge sentenced him to two consecutive life terms without possibility of parole.

“There are few people I loved more than my grandparents,” he told the court. He never explained why he killed his grandparents.

Lane pleads guilty for murder of Jessica Scholl

Jessica Scholl and Jarod Thomas Lane were sweethearts for about two years, but they broke up, leaving Lane distraught. On May 22, 2012, Lane went to Jessica’s home around the corner from Lindbergh High School.

After one last visit, he promised to leave her alone. Instead, he stabbed her multiple times and set the familiy’s house afire. It was morning and her parents, Stephanie and Douglas Scholl, had already gone to work.

Lane fled in his car; he was captured 2,000 miles away in Oklahoma City, Okla. An emotional candlelight vigil was held at Lindbergh, attended by about 1,000 people, to remember Jessica.

Legal maneuvering dragged on for months. This September, Lane, 21, pleaded guilty to first-degree murder and first-degree murder. He’ll spend 33 years in prison.

Jessica’s parents rebuilt their house.

To read part 1 of our top stories list, click here.

To read part 2 of our top stories list, click here.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates