- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Connect with Us
Renton woman among Western Washington Nurse of the Year winners
A Renton woman was one of 12 nurses from Washington State recognized this week by the March of Dimes Washington Chapter during its 11th annual Western Washington Nurse of the Year Awards.
Marisa Gillaspie-Aziz of Renton, a nurse at St. Joseph Medical Center, received this year's "Innovation/Creativity" Award.
The event, designed to recognize nurses whose extraordinary efforts stand out, took place Thursday at the Meydenbauer Conference Center in Bellevue. It was presented by Premera Blue Cross. Chair of the event was Kim Williams, RN, MS, Chief Operating Officer, of Providence Regional Medical Center Everett.
RNs working at all staff levels in Western Washington were honored in 12 categories surrounded by their peers; nursing professionals who every day set the standards of outstanding patient care. This year the winners included:
• Patient/Clinical Care – Laura Mills of Sammamish with Swedish Medical Center;
• Leadership – Debbie Raniero of Tacoma with Franciscan Health System;
• Innovation/Creativity – Marisa Gillaspie-Aziz of Renton with St. Joseph Medical Center;
• Educational Champion – Patricia Blissitt of Seattle with Harborview Medical Center;
• Research/Advancing the Profession –Lindsay Boyd of Seattle with University of Washington Medical Center;
• Advocacy for Patients – Dianne Clancy of Seattle with Seattle Children's Hospital;
• Community Volunteer – Heather Guthrie of Mountlake Terrace with Swedish Edmonds;
• Mentoring – Anita Shoup of Edmonds with Swedish Edmonds;
• Rising Star – Janet Bowen of Bothell with Overlake Hospital Medical Center;
• New Generation – Stacy Woodard of Seattle with South Seattle Community College;
• Perinatal/Pediatric – Samantha Thomas of Puyallup with Madigan Army Medical Center; and
• Distinguished Nurse of the Year – Linda Maschhoff of Seattle with Swedish Ballard.
The presenting sponsor was Premera Blue Cross. The platinum sponsor was Pediatrix Medical Group. The gold sponsor was Seattle Children’s Hospital. The anniversary sponsor was Providence Regional Medical Center Everett. The silver sponsors were EvergreenHealth, Harrison Medical Center, Overlake Medical Center, Swedish Medical Group and UW Medicine.
The community sponsors were Group Health Cooperative, Salal Credit Union, Virginia Mason, Washington State Nurses Association and KING 5.