Wife bloodies husband's nose in squabble over remote control | POLICE BLOTTER

— image credit:

The following information was compiled from Renton Police Department case reports.

An argument between a couple over who was going to control what TV channel to watch Sept. 20 ended up with the wife going to jail for fourth-degree assault.

The couple – the man is 44 and the wife is 37 – told an officer different stories about what happened. But they agreed the argument was over who would have the TV’s remote control.

The husband told the officer he and his wife got into a tug of war over the remote. He won and held the remote over his head, out of his wife’s reach. She punched him in the nose.

The wife told the officer her husband was in her face, so she threw the remote at him, which hit him in the nose. Her husband’s story was a lie, she told the officer.

But the officer determined the injury to the husband’s nose was consistent with a punch. The wife was arrested for investigation of fourth-degree assault, domestic violence, and taken to the SCORE regional jail.

Exchange student robbed

An exchange student from Japan was robbed of her phone and computer while sitting at the bus stop near Garden and Logan avenues Sept. 21.

Two males in their late teens walked across the street and grabbed the 22-year-old woman’s computer off her lap, two cell phones and a keyboard and ran west on Logan Avenue.

A traffic camera faces where the incident occurred.

Head pushed through window

A Kent man’s head was pushed through the window at Freddie’s Club on South Third Street Sept. 22, after he tried to defend the suspect’s girlfriend.

Standing outside the club, 42-year-old victim was counseling the girlfriend after she had an argument with the suspect. The boyfriend overheard the discussion, grabbed the victim by the neck and pushed his head into the glass. The window shattered.

The suspect, a 24-year-old Kent man, then left in a Honda Accord.

A manager at the casino told an officer the suspect was a regular customer but he had been barred from the casino because of aggressive attitude toward employees.

The suspect was cited and the case was forwarded to the Renton prosecutor’s office for review.

Resident thwarts burglars

A 30-year-old Renton man had just gone to bed at 4 a.m. Sept. 20 when he heard a noise at his front door, on Hardie Avenue Southwest.

He grabbed a flashlight and found two men standing in his front door, one wearing women’s gardening gloves covered with flowers. Both of them wore ski masks.

They ran when they saw the resident. One of the burglars had to yank on his jacket to break it loose from the screen door, which came off its hinges.

‘I’m drunk and stoned’

A 26-year-old Seattle man was trespassed from the Walmart store on Rainier Avenue Sept. 20, only to return in less than an hour smelling of marijuana and alcohol.

He walked toward the store, passing the big Walmart sign and the officer sitting in his car doing paperwork, all the while drinking a Natural Ice beer.

After taking the man into custody, the officer smelled the marijuana and alcohol. “I’m drunk and stoned,” the man told him. He told the officer he was never told to stay away from Walmart.

He was booked into the SCORE regional jail for investigation of second-degree criminal trespass.

Man questioned over threats to collections agency

A collections agency based in South Carolina asked Renton Police to question a Renton man the agency maintains made threats to bomb it and to shoot everyone.

The agency told the officer it had been asked by Direct TV to collect a delinquent bill owed by the man.

However, the man told Renton officers someone else had created the account using his name. He told the officer he was frustrated when he spoke with call receivers and supervisors but denied making threats or indicating he would bomb the agency or shoot someone.

The agency employee told the officer the man was "out of touch with reality" but she didn't think the man intended to carry out the threats. The calls he made were recorded.

To the officer, the man seemed calm and cooperative and not a threat to himself or others. The man expects he and the agency could work things out.

The agency employee told the officer the company planned to block any calls from the man.

The officer determined there was no probable cause to arrest the 56-year-old man for harassment or making a bomb threat.

Graffiti painted on fish ladder

About a half-dozen teenage boys spray-painted graffiti on a concrete fish ladder on the Cedar River near Shelton Avenue Southeast.

They then fled back across the river and up a steep hill toward the Royal Hills neighborhood, which was searched.


We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates