- About Us
City celebrates completion of Taxiway Bravo Rehabilitation
The City of Renton has spent the last several months reconstructing one of the two main taxiways at Renton Municipal Airport/Clayton Scott Field. The Taxiway Bravo Rehabilitation Project serves both general aviation and aircraft manufacturing needs at Renton.
The taxiway was originally built in 1943 with involved reconstruction of its subgrade and pavement occurring in the 1960s. The rehabilitation of Taxiway Bravo is a $9.8 million project funded through a 90 percent grant from the Federal Aviation Administration. The remaining 10 percent of project funding was provided by revenue from on-airport tenant leases.
“This project is critical to maintaining Renton as a launch site for Boeing 737 aircraft, and to support the growth of general aviation,” said Renton Mayor Denis Law. “This project could not have been possible without the outstanding support of the Federal Aviation Administration, through their grant funding and project review.”
The upgrades include replacement of some portions of the storm drainage system, which will improve storm water quality and work to protect salmon in the adjacent Cedar River. The fire water system has also been replaced, and the taxiway lighting system has been upgraded to LED (light emitting diode) to cut power consumption and long term airport operating costs.
In addition, all of the connecting taxiways around the airport have been re-designated to meet national standards, improving communications between pilots and the Air Traffic Control Towerstaff. An emergency generator has been installed to power the Air Traffic Control Tower and airfield lighting.
“Thanks to the great work by our staff and the contractors on this project we’re on schedule, on budget, and the craftsmanship of the work is high,” said Ryan Zulauf, Airport Manager.
The engineering and construction management was provided by Reid Middleton, and ICON Materials worked on the construction. For more information visit www.rentowa.gov.
-from a press release