Seattle-area man sentenced for selling high-powered firearms in Renton area

A convicted felon who trafficked in multiple, high-powered firearms in the Renton area was sentenced Friday in U.S. District Court in Seattle to 66 months in prison, announced U.S. Attorney Jenny A. Durkan.

Joshua Dawson, 20, who lives in the Seattle area, was indicted for  conspiracy to unlawfully deal in firearms and being a felon in possession of a firearm. He also was sentenced to three years of supervised release.

Dawson was one of six Seattle-area men who sold guns to a person working with law enforcement in the Renton area, according to a press release from the U.S. Attorney's Office.

In sentencing Dawson U.S. District Judge Richard A. Jones said, “You were directly involved in providing firearms that would hit the streets without any concern of where they would go or how they would be used.”

Durkan said in the press release that “getting firearms out of the hands of felons and off our streets is one of our top priorities. I commend the creative and coordinated work by local and federal law enforcement to infiltrate this criminal gang that was trafficking the high powered weapons that fuel violence in our community.”

Dawson was indicted following an undercover investigation involving the Seattle Police Department Gang Unit, the FBI Safe Streets Task Force and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (ATF).  The firearms that were sold as part of the conspiracy were very dangerous weapons, according to the press release.

The weapons included handguns, shotguns, semi-automatic rifles with large- capacity magazines and scopes, stolen firearms and weapons tied to violent crimes. Twenty-five guns were seized.

Dawson has prior convictions for robbery and theft, according to the press release.  When officers tried to arrest him in April 2012, Dawson fled in his car, crashing into multiple other vehicles.  When he was taken into custody, officers located a loaded Kel-Tec model PF-9, 9mm pistol in the glove compartment of his car.

Five others were prosecuted as part of the case: Andre M. Conerly, 26, was sentenced to 96 months in prison; Daunte R. Williams, 29, was sentenced to 78 months in prison; James L. Henderson, 22, was sentenced to five years in prison; Alexander J. Olivio-Altheimer, 21, was sentenced to four years in prison; and Djuan O. Gardner, 28, was sentenced to 70 months in prison.

The case was jointly investigated by the FBI Seattle Safe Streets Task Force, the Seattle Police Department Gang Unit, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (ATF).

The case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Nicholas Brown.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates