News

Downtown Safeway store evacuated because of natural gas leak

The downtown Safeway store on South Third Street was evacuated about 4 p.m. Friday because of a natural gas leak.

Employees and customers were allowed back inside at about 4:20 p.m.

Renton Fire and Emergency Services crews responded to the store after a vendor broke a one-inch pipe to a heater inside a back room, according to Deputy Fire Chief Bill Flora.

Crews evacuated theĀ  store and shut down the gas to the appropriate line; crews with Puget Sound Energy responded.

There were no injuries.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the latest Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates