Fire causes about $100,000 damage to Highlands house

Five occupants of a house in the 800 block of Index Court Northeast escaped safely late Friday morning after a pan on the kitchen stove caught fire, according to Renton Fire and Emergency Services.

Damage was estimated at about $100,000 and content loss was estimated at $20,000. The American Red Cross is assisting the occupants.

Fire was coming from the house's roof and smoke was coming from the front door when fire crews arrived at about 11:06 a.m.

Crews contained the fire to the kitchen and attic and completely put out the fire a short time later, according to Deputy Fire Chief Bill Flora.

No firefighters were injured.

"The message from this fire is to not step away from anything cooking on the stove for any length of time, especially if there is oil or grease in the pan," said Flora.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Read the Oct 21
Green Edition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Browse the archives.

Friends to Follow

View All Updates