Five Renton teachers win Ahead of the Class award
April 5, 2012 · 11:15 AM
Five outstanding Renton teachers have been selected as winners in the 2012 Ahead of the Class Excellence in Education Awards, sponsored by the Renton Chamber of Commerce.
The winners are:
• Drew Crandall, second grade, Lakeridge Elementary School
• Erin Hall, seventh grade, McKnight Middle School
• Jennifer O’Roarty, math and English/language arts, Renton High School
• Nicole Kittleson, fifth and sixth grades, Rainier Christian Schools-Highlands campus
• Michele Lesmeister, reading and writing, adult education GED, Renton Technical College
The five winners, who demonstrate high standards of professionalism in education, received a $500 cash award and special honors at an award ceremony Tuesday at the Renton IKEA Performing Arts Center and Renton High School Commons.
More than 135 teachers were nominated by their peers, students and parents; 25 teachers sent in applications.
Two committees, consisting of community and business leaders, reviewed applications and conducted personal interviews with the teachers to select this year’s winners. The selection criteria for naming the award winners are based on national standards for teaching.
The Ahead of the Class award program is a partnership between the Renton Chamber of Commerce, Renton public and private schools, Renton Technical College, and Renton businesses.