July 6 and 7 is “Hot Rod Weekend” in Renton, with two classic car events hosted by the city. This also means important road closures.
The third annual Cruz the Loop recreates the excitement of cruising the famous Renton Loop. Cruz the Loop is Saturday, July 6 from 6 to 9 p.m. at Piazza Park, 233 Burnett Ave S.
Event activities include live music from the era, food trucks, yard games and a beer/wine garden.
Vehicle registration is $30 and can be made at rentonwa.gov/cruz or on-site the day of the event.
Registration includes a 2019 collector’s edition “Cruz” t-shirt. Vehicles can check in and stage starting at 5 p.m. on the day of the event at 200 Mill Ave. S.
For Saturday’s Cruz the Loop:
- Barricades will be put in place starting Saturday at 4 p.m. Streets will be closed by 5 p.m.
- Vehicles participating in Cruz the Loop will park in the lot at 200 Mill Ave. S. The route will go west on S. Second Street, turn left on Shattuck Avenue South, turn left onto South Third Street and turn left onto Wells Avenue South.
- Two lanes of South Second Street will be open to westbound traffic from Main Street South to Shattuck Avenue South.
- South Third Street will be closed to traffic from Shattuck Avenue South to Wells Avenue South.
- All north-south streets that intersect with South Second and South Third streets between Wells Avenue South and Shattuck Avenue South will be closed at those intersections
The second car event, Return to Renton Benefit Car Show, is Sunday, July 7 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on South Third Street.
The show has been a fixture in downtown since 1991 and features hundreds of vintage vehicles on display along with live entertainment, kids activities, food trucks and vendors.
Vehicles can be registered at returntorenton.com. All event proceeds go to Renton youth programs.
Parking for both events is available in the City Center Parking Garage. The first two hours of parking are free.
For Sunday’s Return to Renton Benefit Car Show [map]:
- Barricades will be put in place starting Sunday at 5 a.m.
- Third Avenue South will be completely closed to traffic from Morris Avenue South to Main Avenue South.
- All north-south avenues south of South Third Street (Smithers, Burnett, Williams and Wells) will be closed to through traffic northbound from Houser Way South.
- Logan, Williams and Wells avenues will be closed to through traffic between South Second and South Third streets.
- Metro Transit will have access to the downtown transit center via Logan Avenue South and Burnett Avenue South.