- About Us
- Local Savings
- Green Editions
- Legal Notices
- Weekly Ads
Renton seeking members for Municipal Arts Commission
The City of Renton is seeking candidates for two positions on the Renton Municipal Arts Commission, one of which is the youth (under 21) position.
The members will be appointed by the mayor and confirmed by the City Council to serve three-year terms. Members serve without compensation and do not need to live in Renton.
The Municipal Arts Commission is comprised of 12 members and is responsible for promoting and enhancing arts and culture in Renton. The commission meets at Renton City Hall, 1055 S. Grady Way, Renton, on the first Tuesday of each month at 4:30 p.m.
The current commission membership includes representatives from many diverse fields, with special interests in architecture, art, music, literature, education and other cultural disciplines. To assist in the implementation of the newly created Arts and Culture Master Plan, candidates with experience in the grant writing, fundraising and marketing fields are encouraged to apply.
Members of the commission recognize the value of artistic and cultural development in Renton through the following activities:
• Supporting cultural arts performances and arts-related organizations through annual financial assistance awards.
• Leading the implementation of the five-year Master Plan for Arts & Culture.
• Reviewing design, execution and acceptance of works of art funded or otherwise acquired by the city.
• Recommending selection of appropriate works of art for 1% for Art projects.
• Directing maintenance, inspection and rotation of works of art selected and installed for the city.
To apply for commission membership, complete an application and supplemental questions, available at the arts commission website, on the Boards and Commissions webpage at the City of Renton website or call 425-430-6589. Applications are also available at the Mayor’s Office at Renton City Hall, seventh floor. Application review will begin on Dec. 15, but applications are accepted on an on-going basis.